Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Soapbox for Swimming

No, no.  I don't mean pour some soap in the fountain to make it suds up and then go swimming in it.  I'm just gonna step myself up on my
and talk about triathletes and swimming. 

First of all I commend athletes who enjoy biking and running for getting into the sport.  It is awesome.  I myself am a fan of the swimming and running aspects and had quite a bit to learn about biking.  Actually, I still do if I'm perfectly honest with myself.  I still hate going fast on a down hill if there are lots of sharp turns.  BRAKE much?  Yes, yes I do.  I'll probably need to replace them yearly if not sooner. 

But swimming... swimming... swimming.... I thought myself to sleep about this the other night after working out with some friends.  Trying to figure out where the problem lays. 

What is the problem?  Pregunta?  Well whose responsibility is it to make sure that new swimmers to the sport learn the fundamentals of swimming?  NO I am not talking about stroke length, form, and cadence I am talking about triathletes who are afraid to stick their head in the water, afraid to be in a pool where they cannot touch the ground, afraid to turn themselves upside down, never learn to float, etc. 

Ttriathlons are dangerous for swimmers who cannot do this. 
  • More often than not you will be swimming in a pack of athletes who are brutal right off the start.  People have swam over me, kicked me, punched me.  In fact, I have unintentionally swam over, kicked, and elbowed people myself.  (I'm sorry by the way.)  It is stressful and it will test you.  You need to be in control of your breathing.
  • Unexpected waves will through you off in the middle of your swim.  You need to be in control of your breathing.
  • Sometimes a wave will take you under.  You know how to be relaxed when you are flipped upside down.  I mean you try not to get in that position but nature is nature.
  • In order to swim with correct form you need to learn how to float. Or maybe you get tired... another reason you should learn to float
  • Lakes and oceans are deep.  If you are not comfortable in the deep end of the pool you probably aren't ready for the open water swims. 
I'm not trying to scare people but I do want to be real. 

Is it the coach/ teachers fault for not making the swimmer stick to basics?  Or is it the athletes fault for trying to skip steps?

Oh and sharks... what if you have to outswim a shark?  Haha... I'm just joking.  


Or am I?

1 comment: