Tuesday, July 27, 2010

96 years is quite a feat!

I write this blog in tribute to Pete's grandma who passed away last Saturday. She had just turned 96 the weekend before. She was an really fun and humorous lady although I didn't talk with her much, as her hearing was bad. (I have an aversion to raising my voice). We had gone down to Vegas the weekend before July 4th and Pete's dad shared a funny story with us.


"Grandma" (as she liked me to call her) was hanging out over at Pete's parents' house and his dad was serving her lunch. He made her a delicious sandwich. (I'm sure it was delicious as his dad is a fabulous home cook). When he went to offer it to her she turned her nose up at it and demanded cake. "I'm 95 years old and I can eat cake if I want too." With a twinkle in her eye I'm sure...


If it had been my grandma she'd have said, "I'm __ years old and I can eat cake if I want too, dammit." See the picture below... that's her on the left.


So, here is to my cute and rascally grandmother who passed away in 2002.

And here is to my other "Grandma" and your inspiring, long life. I'll see you on Saturday at your services. May peace be with you.

Love,
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Heather, you're such a sweetheart. I hope Pete read this. Very cute sandwich story - I'm sure P's gram is eating an entire cake right now. We'll be thinking about you all and the family while you're away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love spunky grandmothers!! what a sweet tribute.

    (and side note: i laughed out loud about your aversion to raising your voice. you weirdo).

    ReplyDelete