Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 1 - Travel


This is me peaking behind our divider sitting in business class via British Airways on our way to London. We flew direct from LAX to LHR and it was quite lovely. We did one thing foolish on our way in. We ate at an airport restaurant before we went into the business class lounge. When we got into the business class lounge there was a ton of free food and drinks for all to enjoy. Rookie move on my part. How was I supposed to know?

Good start to flight. Pete asked me if I would be okay sitting backwards to which I replied, "Yeah, I have a strong stomach. No sweat." Throughout the flight I had one glass of champagne and two glasses of red and then napped out. The dinner was pretty good - four course meal, not bad, not bad. When I woke up it was hot, I was dehydrated due to the air and alcohol consumption, and then when we taxid into LHR I threw up. You were expecting that right? I totally had to eat my words.

In LHR we had to go through customs, get our bags, get on the subway, go to terminal 1, check in, go back through security, and then sit around for 4 more hours before our Croatian Airways flight. Flew to Zagreb to connect to Split. We were picked up promptly from the airport thanks to JayWay Travel hosts and dropped off in Trogir where our sobe* owner was coming out to greet us. The taxi guy dropped us off in nearly the middle of town and we had no clue which random person would be coming out to greet us. Sure enough a girl with a cute yellow dress, an oddly cool looking fanny pack, and a half shaved head introduced herself and led us to the center of town.

It was hot. So we pumped up the air conditioning, took a short shower, walked around town for a bit, got kunas out of the atm, and had some sladoled (ice cream). When we got back I couldn't sleep- I was too cold with the air conditioning (and it rattled), time difference bothered me, and there was an older woman yelling at her family all night in the courtyard below.

I was tired but very excited to begin my Croatian adventure.

*Sobe- Room in a local house (sometimes standalone apartments).

(Our Sobe) Kitchen & Balcony are behind the bed wall. Bathroom is to the left.

3 comments:

  1. Heath I can't believe you threw up! That's so sad!!

    That room looks totally cool and you sound awfully smooth and bilingual now, my dear. Hoping your sleep patterns evened out after a couple days... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my sleep patterns were much better after the next day but I'll save that story for tomorrow! :) Thanks for your sweet words lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where's the picture of the cool looking fanny pack????

    can't wait to see the rest of this trip!

    ReplyDelete